[BBLISA] Desktop policies and UNIX-ish operating systems

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Sat Jan 30 13:35:24 EST 2010

All I meant, originally, by poking fun at OSX as a "unix" was this:

People go around saying OSX is Unix because it runs a Netbsd kernel.  When
you're a unix or linux admin, new to OSX, people assume, "Well, it's a unix.
You must already know how to use it, at least to the level that all unixes
have in common."  But this is way false.  Your past knowledge of other
unixes will help you just as much as your past knowledge of windows systems,
when it comes to OSX.

In my opinion, running the netbsd kernel doesn't make OSX much more
unix-like, than running the VMS kernel makes Windows NT vms-like.  They're
wholly separate beasts, with almost no connection to the platform from
whence it originally derived.