[BBLISA] Desktop policies and UNIX-ish operating systems

Patrick Cable pc at pcable.net
Thu Jan 28 17:03:40 EST 2010

In what may (or may not) cause a considerable amount of list traffic...

$WORK is trying to develop a set of policies around machines used as
desktops* that happen to run a linux, solaris, freebsd, etc. as an
operating system.
(If you're interested in the policies, they're mostly just best
practices for linux machines put down in official form)

$WORK would like to identify the ideal phrase that lumps all those
operating systems together.

One individual suggested that you couldn't really just say UNIX,
because Linux isn't UNIX. It would not include BSDs as well. You
couldn't say POSIX-compliant, because can't you install some binaries
on windows that make it POSIX-compliant, etc. Valid points for sure.

My question: Is there a way that I can identify all these UNIX-ish
operating systems without specifically naming the brands? (Linux,
Unix, BSD)

What do you think?

*Desktop is a oddly defined. Think "this is my primary computer that i
access the internet on and check email on"