[BBLISA] Backing up sparse files ... VM's and TrueCrypt ... etc

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Sat Feb 20 09:04:43 EST 2010

> > > Doesn't compression do very well on a long string of zeros?
> >
> > Yes, but how do you do the incremental?
>
> dump | gzip | dd
>
> (dd is necessary to get efficient blocksize on many tapes anyway.)
>
> gnu tar also does incremental dumps, and might be suitable for windows.

Sorry, we were talking about doing incremental backups of sparse files,
sending just the changed blocks, instead of sending the whole files again.
Dump and tar can do incrementals of a filesystem or directory, based on
things like timestamp and filesize to detect whether a file has changed, and
then sending the whole file again.