[BBLISA] Insight on replacing Cisco 4006

Rob Taylor rgt at wi.mit.edu
Mon Feb 1 18:25:28 EST 2010

You need the E series chassis models to get the greater speeds. Which I think might be all they sell now anyway.

rgt

----- "Rob Taylor" <rgt at wi.mit.edu> wrote:

> We're swapping out our 4006's with 4510's. They use the same linecards.
> Of the 8 usable slots, 5 can do 24gig per slot(using the new "enhanced" lincards), and the others are the old 6gig slots.
> We put sup6's in, which have 2 ports on them that can do either 4 1gig fiber connections or 2 10gig fiber connections. They've been working pretty well for us. We use them for access layer switches on each floor.
>
> We've gone with Focus Technologies in NH for a lot of our stuff as they have been getting us a really good price on the cisco gear.
>

> rgt
>
> ----- "Stephen Goldman" <sgoldman at MIT.EDU> wrote:

Hello BBLISA,
Looking for insight and / or good Cisco Partner to determine replacement for aging Cisco 4006 switch.

< board 1> Current needs are four duplex fiber circuit and four trunk twisted pair connections
< board 2) 48 port twisted pair

Would like to upgrade speed on fiber circuit <s> and core speed to 10 G.

Thanks in advance,
> > Stephen

Stephen Goldman