[BBLISA] backups

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Tue Dec 14 21:38:06 EST 2010

> From: bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On
> Behalf Of Ryan Pugatch
>
> CommVault is currently my top option.  They do dedupe, replication and I
> can put it all on cheap arrays.  It is pretty expensive though.

I know I'm a broken record.  ZFS does all that.
I run Solaris 10 on Dell with ZFS.  But if you want dedup, you'd have to use
a later version, which might not have the awesomest stability on non-sun
hardware, in which case, you'd probably have to consider the sun/oracle
hardware to get adequate support & stability.

ZFS dedup should be stable enough on non-sun hardware, about 6 months from
now.

It's also worth mention that ZFS dedup does not apply in-transit (which
means it does not apply when written to tape.)  It only applies when it's
received into a filesystem.