[BBLISA] backups

Dewey Sasser dewey at sasser.com
Tue Dec 14 20:44:07 EST 2010

On 12/14/2010 3:24 PM, Ryan Pugatch wrote:
> Trying to gather some info as I am working on rearchitecting our backup
> solution.

BackupPC both home and work (D2D).  BackupPC treats each machine
independently, so for "last backup size" I summed the last full backup
of each machine.

It also pools identical files across both time and machine axes, which
is responsible for a huge amount in disk space savings.  Restores are
trivial, as is delegating management of restores to individual machine
owners if you so choose.

*Location
* 	*Last backup size
* 	*Total size of all backups
* 	*Disk space used
*
Work
	176GB in 4.1M files
	2TB
	437GB
	730GB in 2.7M files
	3.2TB
	292GB

Offsite replication is BackupPC's weakness.  It uses so many hard links
that anything at filesystem level takes forever in real time even if
it's not a great deal of network load.  However, block level replication
(e.g. drbd or zfs send) works well.

--
Dewey