[BBLISA] simpler alternative to Nagios

Robert Keyes bob at sinister.com
Fri Aug 27 18:27:55 EDT 2010

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, David N. Blank-Edelman wrote:

> Hi Alex-
>  Big Brother's successor, Xymon (formerly Hobbit) at http://sourceforge.net/projects/xymon/ may get you closer to what you seek.

I am going to jump on the bandwagon here and yell 'Xymon!'

Looking at your earlier idea about checking with ping, I cringed for a
second, but then recovered. But it might be worth mentioning here that
ping is NOT sufficient to see if a host is alive! I have known of an
organization which used ping to see if its servers were alive, but ping
didn't detect when a DoS attack ran the servers out of filehandles causing
all net services to become unavailable, including SSH, without affecting
the ICMP stack.