[BBLISA] simpler alternative to Nagios

Brian O'Neill oneill at oinc.net
Fri Aug 27 16:07:34 EDT 2010

On 8/27/2010 3:55 PM, Alex Aminoff wrote:
> Hi folks. I need a better monitoring system. I currently use something I
> wrote 10 years ago using parts of Spong and other bits.
>
> I looked at Nagios, which seems to be the most commonly mentioned thing
> today. The configuration files are not easily hand-editable. This would
> be OK if there were decent tools to spit them out, but a day of hacking
> did not find anything simple to install and use.

We use Nagios, but we're also using a config creator that was created
custom in-house, as was most of the scripts - nagios is pretty much only
used for scheduling and notification. Alas, I can't release it, and it
probably wouldn't work anywhere else anyways. I have had a long dormant
project to rewrite it from scratch and include many other things,
potentially as an open-source project. But did I mention that it is long
dormant? :)

I'm really surprised someone hasn't done it already.

Zenoss gained a foothold at one of our clients, but I haven't played
with it. It seems even more complicated :(

-Brian