[BBLISA] simpler alternative to Nagios

Alex Aminoff alex at basespace.net
Fri Aug 27 15:55:49 EDT 2010

Hi folks. I need a better monitoring system. I currently use something I
wrote 10 years ago using parts of Spong and other bits.

I looked at Nagios, which seems to be the most commonly mentioned thing
today. The configuration files are not easily hand-editable. This would
be OK if there were decent tools to spit them out, but a day of hacking
did not find anything simple to install and use.

What I need is something so simple I could write it myself from scratch
in a couple days if I had a couple days. I don't want SNMP or any sort
of agent on the client to be monitored (in my case I'm monitoring my
customers' machines) - I just want remote network checks: does it ping,
is port 80 responding, that sort of thing. I would like the
configuration file to be as simple as possible: definitely no XML, and
preferably few parentheses. In fact, how about if my config file is DNS?
Start with pinging everything in my domain, if there is an MX record
pointing to it check SNMP, if "www" points to it check port 80. For
exceptions to that general case, have a config file.

I like BigBrother's config file, but BB's implementation is a snarl of
shell script that does not do a good job of producing transparent error
messages when things are not exactly right. At least for the
non-commercial version, which does not appear to be maintained. And BB
has agents on the clients too.

Or perhaps I should just run nmap on my network every 10 minutes and
alert me if there is a diff from the previous results. Prone to false
positives I would think.

  - Alex