[BBLISA] Fileserver opinion

David Allan dave at dpallan.com
Thu Aug 26 14:31:11 EDT 2010

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Dean Anderson wrote:

> But avoid linux as a NFS server platfom.  There is a funded project to
> improve the client at RedHat, but not the server. Sigh.

[disclaimer: I work for Red Hat, although obviously this isn't an
official corporate pronouncement.]

I haven't been involved in this arena in a decade, so I don't have a
useful opinion on what you should use, but Bruce Fields, the upstream
maintainer of the NFS server code, is paid by Red Hat, and we've got a
bunch of big customers using Linux as an NFS server.  As I said, I don't
work in this area, so I'm not the guy to say yeah do it, or no, run away,
but we actively work on the code, and people do use it for real work.

Dave