[BBLISA] Fwd: Re: Fileserver opinion

Ian Stokes-Rees ijstokes at crystal.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 26 14:10:36 EDT 2010

> But regarding the cost of dedicated NAS, perhaps you should buy and
> older, used unit. There's a NetApp F85, less drives, which will take you
> to 3 TB, buy-it-now on ebay for $75 + $26 shipping. ALso NetApp DS14s
> for $84 each plus $85 shipping (6 available from same seller). This
> might be the cheap & easy way to solve your problem. Of course, you
> still have to source the drives...

We're not afraid of buying used gear -- it can be "used", but it must
also be "usable".  I don't see how we could justify purchasing NetApp,
EMC, Isilon, etc. hardware off eBay if it:

i) comes with blank drives (as most of them do) -- since, AFAIK, a big
part of the value storage appliances offer come from the customized OS
and file server they run.

ii) they can't be "fixed" by anyone other than the vendor when there are
problems.

Ian

--
Ian Stokes-Rees, PhD                       W: http://hkl.hms.harvard.edu