[BBLISA] Fwd: Re: Fileserver opinion

Ian Stokes-Rees ijstokes at crystal.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 26 13:12:54 EDT 2010

 On 8/25/10 10:05 PM, Dean Anderson wrote:

> But avoid linux as a NFS server platfom.  There is a funded project
> to improve the client at RedHat, but not the server. Sigh.

With no significant experience administering NFS servers on anything
other than Linux, does it really make sense to consider OpenSolaris, or
a *BSD variant?  I.e. will the performance/reliability gains outweigh the
pain/overhead of a new OS?

And on the topic of file servers, does anyone have experience with the
Adaptec MaxIQ 5805ZQ controller cards which use SSDs for a large, fast
read cache?

Thanks,

Ian