[BBLISA] whole disk encryption

John Orthoefer jco at direwolf.com
Mon Aug 23 09:59:35 EDT 2010

So I've been using the Seagate FDE2 drives.  For laptops which have to travel.

The Pros are once the machine is booted it's totally transparent.

The Cons it's backups, Key management and booting.

As it turns out they need special BIOS support to prompt for a password and enable the drive preboot.  Mac EFI has no such support.  Also when the machine hibernates/sleeps, the BIOS needs support to be able to re-unlock the drive.

The Backups I think are ultimately the biggest issue.   Since you can't even READ the drive without a key, So that means the machine has to be on and awake.  Which is another sort of sub issue, with sparse bundles on the MAC a multi user laptop two users can't go poking around in each others stuff.  With a FDE drive, once it's booted you have access to all the sectors, good for backups.

Finally Key Management on these drives is a huge headache since you talk to the BIOS none of them are designed so you can store the key or password off on another server.  So it's up to the user to record the information somewhere.  Winmagic lets you make a CD/DVD/USB Stick with some magic that generates a OTP that allows you to unlock the drive.

johno