[BBLISA] whole disk encryption

K. M. Peterson KMP at KMPeterson.COM
Sat Aug 21 19:50:05 EDT 2010

Love it when email passes in the night...

BitLocker is available only with the "corporate" versions of Windows, including (I think) Windows 7 Enterprise.  There may be functionality that you don't need in Enterprise that you'd have to pay for anyway (and I had a great time trying to get Microsoft to admit there's no real way to upgrade from Professional to Ultimate - which is basically the same as Enterprise).

My picking at this about a year ago led me to my opinion that it's complicated to deploy.  Great if you have the scale and the infrastructure, which I didn't.  But - if you do, you can integrate it, meaning that it's managed and deployed automatically, and can be fully controlled by your management system.

TrueCrypt is very good for end-users who have been trained to use it.  I don't, however, have any experience using Whole Disk Encryption (I think they call it System Encryption/pre boot authentication).  BitLocker requires hardware support (the Trusted Platform Module).  PGP supports the Mac and Linux for their Whole Disk product.