[BBLISA] Fileserver opinion

Jeff Wasilko jeffw at smoe.org
Fri Aug 13 15:11:59 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 02:56:49PM -0400, Toby Burress wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 02:42:12PM -0400, David Miller wrote:
> > What does your zpool look like?  Ideally if you're using RAIDz or RAIDz2
> > then you should be using multiple RAIDz sets in the pool.  This way IO is
> > stripped across the RAIDz sets and any degradation, and recovery, should
> > only involve the smaller RAIDz set.  Which should be relatively quick
> > depending on the size and type of drives involved.
>
> The server that it taking a billion years to resilver does in fact have
> 15 disks in one big raidz2 pool.  The other server has a single pool of
> three raidz2 arrays of 8 disks each, so hopefully that will yield better
> recoveries.  Although if the bottleneck is reads, then wouldn't it be
> faster to read from 14 disks than 7?  And if the bottleneck is just
> writes, then wow, I need to buy some different disks next time.
>
> Since the load on the machine is 3, and it's doing nothing but
> resilvering, I suspect the bottleneck is actually the CPU.  I don't
> know a ton about the implementation of ZFS, but I do know it checksums
> every block.  It would be insane for it not to verify those checksums
> while resilvering, and perhaps it even recomputes them while writes them
> to the new disk.

Did you lose 1 or 2 disks in the raidz2 pool?

I'm not current on how zfs does reconstruction, but generally to recover
data from a lost raid5/6 set you have to read all of the other disks and
then compute the missing data. That's why a 15 disk wide stripe can be
worse than a smaller stripe set...

-j