[BBLISA] Fileserver opinion

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Wed Aug 11 19:25:27 EDT 2010

> From: bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On
> Behalf Of Ian Stokes-Rees
>
> 2. What combination of network filesystem and local file system
> combination makes sense? (currently NFS + ext4 is on the cards)

I will never go back to ext, since getting on ZFS.  Bigtime.

Amongst other things, thanks to copy on write, having innate abilities to
dynamically remap blocks of the physical device, when you are creating a
million tiny files or doing other tiny operations, they all get streamlined
into a single serial operation, which is obviously optimized for spindle
disks.  The performance gain is about 1-2 orders of magnitude.

Throw in some SSD disks for log or cache, and you're absolutely rockin.