[BBLISA] Fileserver opinion

Grant Young grant at toaster-repair.com
Wed Aug 11 18:24:39 EDT 2010

In my experience there is a difference between 7200 and 15000 drives.  It can be masked to some extent by having cache on the disk controller but the difference remains.  Larger disk arrays like EMC devices are basically built around intelligent caching engines.  For the most part their performance is driven largely by how much I/O they can process through their cache and service processors but the backing drives have an impact as well.

Having a RAID controller with writeback cache will make a big difference. Buy as much cache as you can if performance is important to you.

There's a old maxim in storage:  Speed, safety, and cost; pick two.  You can buy cheaper drives but they're likely to have been less rigorously tested or tested to a lower standard and are more likely to fail earlier.

Another less obvious lesson I've learned:  Clean power makes storage work better.  Dirty power kills drives and can kill their performance even if they appear to be working.

Everybody likes to rag on EMC and other storage vendors for charging so much per terabyte but they engineer the headaches out of the storage.

Grant Young
grant at toaster-repair.com