[BBLISA] Mapping inode numbers to file names

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Thu Apr 29 00:19:03 EDT 2010

> From: bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On
> Behalf Of John Stoffel
>
> My personal feeling is that you should just move up a few levels and
> search down from there, and not spend time searching all over the
> filesystem for something, since I would assume (and we all know what

More likely:  Scrap the search idea.  Note in the man page, "Due to present
limitations of the filesystem, zhist can only find snapshots for objects for
which the pathname and filename have not changed.  For more information,
including instructions to perform an exhaustive search, see http://...."

The result really needs to be returned instantly.  I can't afford to search
around random unknown directories of unknown sizes.  And the assumption that
"most moves are relatively local" is of course, user behavior driven.  It's
funny you should mention, because just 30 minutes ago, I got an email from a
user saying "I downloaded this tool, can you please install it" so I moved
it from her home directory to the "standard download area" for installers,
and ran it.