[BBLISA] Chucking samba

Tom Fitzgerald tfitz at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 26 20:08:56 EDT 2010

> This is part of what I'm asking the list.  Everyone says AFS is a
> nightmare to set up; I found it fairly simple.  What am I missing?

Maybe it's gotten better recently?  It's possible to set it up
without making any mistakes and having to backtrack, but as you can
see many people don't manage this.  It helps to have complete
control over your infrastructure - if you're setting up AFS against
an existing Kerberos realm, and don't control your own IP address
ranges and DNS, it makes things much more complicated.

If you're still considering this, a pilot might be the right way
to figure out whether to go ahead.

I don't agree with the idea that if you have Windows then you need
AD.  AD itself is harder to manage day-to-day than AFS is, though AD
does lots more and might be easier to set up.  Some organizations
have better use for their IT budgets than buying Microsoft server
licenses.