[BBLISA] Chucking samba

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Sun Apr 25 07:56:12 EDT 2010

> From: bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On
> Behalf Of Toby Burress

"We don't have AD, and don't want one."
"Samba in quasi-domain, with LDAP password backend"
"works some of the time"
"very often does not work from version to version"
"So I was thinking of ditching Samba for AFS."

Wow, you want to replace the native, included for free industry standard
protocol for something that has barely seen the light of day.  And you think
this will somehow be more stable or more manageable than AD?

Sorry I'm not being helpful toward going the direction you want to go. But
you're way wrong here, and it sounds like you have a religious objection to
MS.

Every company, MS, Apple, Google, etc.  has some good products and some bad
ones.  You're expressing a very painful aversion to MS's best product, which
is AD.  Windows & Linux alike work extremely well together, using AD & CIFS.
That's what you should be doing, unless you just want to explore this for
academic purposes.