[BBLISA] Unix package management

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Fri Apr 16 19:58:47 EDT 2010

> From: bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On
> Behalf Of Toby Burress
>
> So today ClamAV upgraded its database so that software versions < 0.95
> can't read it.
>
> I was wondering what the opinion of The Internet is on this.  Is Debian
> being in any way a turd for distributing such antediluvian software,
> or is this all my fault?

My opinion is that it's neither fault.  It's acknowledged whenever you apply
updates, there is some risk that accompanies any change management.
However, it's assumed that the risk is higher without the updates.

Just like getting vaccines.  They hand you a sheet of paper at the doctor's
office with a picture of a girl smiling in a green field and arms
outstretched toward the sky and basking in the sun.  The words say "vaccines
can cause harm and even death, but the benefits outweigh the risks."

Stuff happens.  You deal with it.  You have backups if needed.  The fact
that you're paying attention, applying updates, and actively working to
handle it when something goes wrong is evidence that you're doing the right
stuff.