[BBLISA] Unix package management

Mike Sprague mfs at komerex.com
Fri Apr 16 16:01:35 EDT 2010

Toby Burress wrote:
> So today ClamAV upgraded its database so that software versions < 0.95
> can't read it.  It turns out that the version of ClamAV in Debian "lenny"
> (the current stable version of Debian) is 0.94, so in simply upgrading
> my packages with "apt-get" I scrweed my users.
>
> (The current stable version of ClamAV is 0.96.)
>
> I was wondering what the opinion of The Internet is on this.  Is Debian
> being in any way a turd for distributing such antediluvian software,
> or is this all my fault?

Big discussion about this on the debian security mailing list. :-)

The short answer is you should use the volatile repository for apps that
change quickly, such as ClamAV, SA, etc.  These types of apps need to
change quickly to keep up with the times and volatile was created as a
way to provide them but still keep 'stable' stable.  :-)

Thanks,
Mike S

--
Michael F. Sprague