[BBLISA] Recommended hot-plug eSATA PCI cards?

John Hanks jbh at broadinstitute.org
Sun Apr 11 10:53:34 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Dewey Sasser <dewey at sasser.com> wrote:
> I've hot-pluged SATA drives into my Ubuntu Jaunty 64bit system.  I
> haven't been so succesful hot unplugging, as the device seems to hang
> around after I unplug it.
>
> I haven't experimented with this enough to know if the issues I'm seeing
> are hardware or software.

I had to work through this for some Dell MD1000 arrays a few years
ago. Say /dev/sdx was the last drive in the array(s) and I removed
/dev/sdp because it failed and then plugged in a new drive. Then I'd
get a new /dev/sdy instead of replacing /dev/sdp. It turned out that I
just needed to tell the kernel before I removed the dead drive. In
lieu of being able to find my own notes on this,
http://blog.nexxes.org/2009/08/09/save-hot-remove-sata-drives-under-linux/
looks very similar to what I wound up doing.

jbh