[BBLISA] maximizing DNS security

Tom Metro tmetro+bblisa at vl.com
Fri Apr 2 14:06:21 EDT 2010

Plain DNS has plenty of security problems, but what are the best
practices for maximizing your DNS security. Specifically I'm wondering
about how outsourced DNS, which leaves you open to social engineering
attacks, compares to in-house management.

Even with the latter, it is common for small organizations to run a
private authoritative server and have the public servers outsourced.
Though I'm betting in that scenario an attacker would have a harder time
merely making a modification to a zone. Rather than simply modifying
records from a web UI, he'd have to set up a server to do the zone
transfer and convince the provider to pull from his server.

Thoughts?

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro