[BBLISA] DNS scams

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Fri Sep 18 15:27:42 EDT 2009

I've been getting a ton of these in my logs lately.  At first I thought
they might be an attack on the logging system or a seriously
misconfigured spambot.

Of course, nothing is queued and I was just about to configure SEC to
automatically add these to my local blacklist.  But then it occurred to
me that any automatic additions in a DNS failure would break legitimate
email. If a DNS attack were used to spoof NXDOMAIN responses or DNS were
to fail for some other reason, it would really make a mess.  Of course,
from there, it was just another hop to recall the Kaminsky/Vixie scam to
promote DNSSEC--and this seems like another promotion of DNSSEC...

reject=553 5.1.8 <spliced67 at 027cf7c2acfd4f3>... Domain of sender address
spliced67 at 027cf7c2acfd4f3 does not exist

Not that non-existant domains are anything new, but the volume has
changed: thousands and thousands of message attempts from 4700+ IP
addresses in last few days.  That's quite a bit higher than usual for
our servers. And I might have pissed off SOSDG/AHBL, too.  The spam
servers never use valid domains, and nmap scans show they aren't open
proxies.  Its basically just annoyance, rather than a real problem.

But:

Are other people seeing similar increases of domain rejections in their
mail logs?

Is anyone seeing DNS attacks which might spoof NXDOMAIN?

Appreciate it if you keep me apprised.

		--Dean

617 256 5494