[BBLISA] software hard disk recovery

Alva L. Couch couch at cs.tufts.edu
Wed Sep 16 12:44:12 EDT 2009

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> One of my friends windows machine died today – boots up only half way
> through the windows splash screen and freezes.  There is one file he
> wants to recover out of it, but it seems to be suffering from hardware
> failure because attaching the disk via USB enclosure to another computer
> will only let him load the USB mass storage device, and won’t go any
> further than that…

I have had extremely good luck with the commercial product
"Zero Assumption Recovery" for Windows. It allows one to
read files on a disk without mounting it. It does not
modify the disk to do this, and can even read all usable
content off a disk without fixing it.

--
Dr. Alva L. Couch
Assoc. Prof. of Computer Science