[BBLISA] SSD's - really any better performance?

Alva L. Couch couch at cs.tufts.edu
Wed Sep 16 10:03:51 EDT 2009

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> I'm curious about this - because the numbers I found wouldn't suggest a
> night-and-day performance difference, except during random small reads.

FYI: There was a lot of interest in hybrid ssd/hard disk strategies at
this year's HotPower workshop. The researchers did *not* claim that
ssd's were faster, but did claim dramatic differences in power
consumption between ssd and hard disk, and advocated a hybrid strategy
in which ssd's cache hard drives' journals until there is a need
to flush. The goal was not mbtf or performance, but rather minimal
power consumption.

--
Dr. Alva L. Couch
Assoc. Prof. of Computer Science