[BBLISA] SSD's - really any better performance?

Edward Ned Harvey lopsa at nedharvey.com
Wed Sep 16 02:28:58 EDT 2009

Today I poked around looking at specs of SSD's and 7.2krpm SATA hard disks.
I just sampled a bunch of whitepapers on various drives and averaged the
results together.  Also, when there wasn't an apples-to-apples measurement
to compare, I had to calculate, as evidenced by the IOPS versus avg seek
time.

The comparisons were pretty surprising, to me -

Sustainable reads:  SSD somewhat faster (avg 199MB/s compared to avg 126
MB/s)

Sustainable writes:  SSD equal to SATA (avg 124MB/s compared to avg 126
MB/s)

MTBF:  SSD equal to SATA.  1.17 vs 1.20 million hours

Read latency:  SSD way faster (0.16ms vs 8.5ms)  (which I derived from 6300
IOPS and 8.5ms avg seek time)

Write latency:  SSD somewhat slower (12ms vs 8.5ms)  (which I derived from
84 IOPS and 8.5ms avg seek time)

Actually, I'm not sure how fair the MTBF is.  Because a SATA drive will
eventually fail just from being powered on, while the life of a SSD is
basically determined by how much you write to it.