[BBLISA] ZFS snapshots versus Netapp snapshots

Theo Van Dinter felicity at kluge.net
Sun May 24 12:55:41 EDT 2009

Generally, this is just something that people need to adjust to.  In
your case, you can standardly point people at
/share/users/$name/.zfs/snapshot and be done, so there's not a lot of
hunting around.  If the directory structure wasn't so standard, yes,
it would be annoying to poke around.  Standards are good. :)

fwiw, I found that accessing the .zfs/snapshot directory through NFS
would start returning incorrect results if snapshots are
added/removed.  Newly created snapshots won't appear in a directory
listing but you can access it if you know the name.  Removed snapshots
stay in the directory listing but you can't access it (typically get a
Stale NFS filehandle error).  Removing a snapshot and then creating a
new one w/ the same name gets both a confusing directory listing entry
and also Stale NFS filehandle errors.  I thought this was related to
client-side caching, but turning off all caching on the client didn't
change anything.  CIFS, via Samba, seemed to work all the time.