[BBLISA] Summary of responses Re: NFS: How can I see which files are in use?

Dewey Sasser dewey at sasser.com
Tue May 19 11:27:56 EDT 2009

Dewey Sasser wrote:
> I would like to be able to see, from my NFS server, which files are in
> use by NFS clients.

The summary of responses was, in effect:  there is no way to do it on a
general Linux system.

Several people pointed out places where documentation (e.g. lsof)
implies this should be doable, but experimentally it works for NFS
clients but not servers.  One person reported success with a home-grown
pcap library based traffic sniffer but did not say the source was
publicly available.  Several others suggested packet sniffers, one
person suggested using "systemtap" to build one.

One response indicated that on the Sun Fishworks storage box (e.g. 7210)
this information is trivially available.

Thanks for all responses.

--
Dewey