[BBLISA] NFS: How can I see which files are in use?

Daniel Hagerty hag at linnaean.org
Thu May 14 14:01:20 EDT 2009

Dewey Sasser <dewey at sasser.com> writes:

> I would like to be able to see, from my NFS server, which files are in
> use by NFS clients.

    I can't remember any "nice, easy" kind of method of doing this;
probably somebody less stale than me can offer better.

    What *I* would do in this situation is break out the packet
sniffer.  Lookups in NFS are pretty easy to follow.  If you missed the
lookup of the thing you care about, that's harder, since open files
are referenced by an opaque nfs ID.  I don't remember how to turn that
back into a filename.