[BBLISA] ntp question

Eric Smith esmithphoto at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 16:22:09 EDT 2009

I've been digging around for an answer related to an ntp problem but
not finding it.
We're having some issues that meant the time on the two systems were
out-of-sync.
I ran ntpq -p on 2 systems and it reported:
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
*LOCAL(0)        .LOCL.          10 l   10   64  377    0.000    0.000   0.001
 NetworkServices .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000

and on the other:
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
 NetworkServices .STEP.          16 u   81 1024  366    0.807  -73.003 309.922
*LOCAL(0)        .LOCL.          10 l    4   64  377    0.000    0.000   0.001

It should be stated that not all systems that use NetworkServices to
sync got messed up.  Some are still working fine.
The later state was fixed by stopping and starting ntp.  The first one was not.
I've tried to figure out what those "refid" values mean.  After much
google'ing I found STEP meant the skew was too large to do increments.
 I'm assuming when I stopped and restarted it that caused it to just
slam the time.  Even if not, clearly it's working now as
NetworkServices is back to stratum 3 and working fine.

I can't find anything about what INIT means.  Does anyone know?
Anyone seen something like this before and knows how to fix it?
Heck, I'd even take a resource that actually told me what all the
legal values are for refid!  hat might send me in the right direction

Thanks,
Eric