[BBLISA] WARNING: NetApp terminates existing StoreVault service/support contracts

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Wed Mar 11 19:44:19 EDT 2009

About a week ago, I was being proactive, and called NetApp support to verify
my support contract expiration date.  We purchased a 24x7x4hr onsite 24month
support contract in Nov 2007, so we should still have 4hr support for
another 8 months or so.  They have no record of my serial number, company
name, or previous support calls.  I have exchanged many emails and phone
calls with them, including proof of my serial number and copies of the
invoice from 2007.  The communication has been almost entirely one-way.  I
cannot get even so much as a return phone call or email from them in the
last 6 days.

If you have any support contracts on any StoreVault products (or so you
think), I advise you to call support to verify that you still have support.

If there are many other people in the same situation as me, there are many
things I would like to do together:

.         Any reasonable measures to get them to honor the existing
storevault support contracts

.         Possible class action lawsuit against NetApp.  (That would surely
get their attention and possibly assist in the above goal.)

.         Create a site dedicated to instruction of how to set up alternate
systems (such as solaris ZFS, volume shadow copy, etc) to provide the same
functionality we are currently getting from netapp.

o   Network storage with snapshots or volume shadow copy

o   Dual parity

o   Expand your filer on the fly

o   Snapshot to some other hardware across a network

o   Gracefully integrate NFS with CIFS, supporting NIS, LDAP, Active
Directory, Kerberos

.         Spread the word

I suppose I'll be happy if there are a bunch of users here with no problem,
and I'm the only one.  But I'm doubtful that's the case.