[BBLISA] Bar code decoding package for Linux?

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Mon Jul 27 13:57:50 EDT 2009

Paul> Does anyone have a recommendation for a tool or library to
Paul> decode bar codes embedded within TIF or PDF files?  We're
Paul> currently using Bardecode from Softek,
Paul> http://www.bardecode.com/.  I have no complaints. Just looking
Paul> for options as it's time to upgrade/renew the license.

Paul> Requirements:
Paul>   Must run under Linux. RPMs for CentOs/RHEL5 are a plus
Paul>   Must work on TIF and  PDF files.  To be clear, I'm NOT looking for
Paul> something to work with a scanner.
Paul>   A stand alone tool is acceptable but a Perl API/Module would be preferred.

Neat job to do.  How do you recognize the barcodes in the PDF file?
Some sort of OCR?  Just curious, but I suspect you're not going to
find much els, it seems like a specialized niche.

John