[BBLISA] Looking for Internet anonymizer

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Sun Jul 19 22:31:21 EDT 2009

Scott> A client has tasked me with locating an anonymizing
Scott> Internet-searching tool that can scour the Internet (web sites,
Scott> open shared directories, etc) and retrieve data based on
Scott> keywords, etc, rather quickly, but with stipulations:

Scott> - There can be no trace, or as little as possible, even in log
Scott> files, associating the application, computer, network, search,
Scott> or results, with the person, or, more importantly, the client
Scott> performing the search - hence as much anonymizing as possible.

How are the person and the client seperate in this case?  In any case,
I still don't think they know what they're trying to do here, and it
sounds like the believe that if someone knew what they were doing,
they would get in trouble.  Not a good sign in my book.

Scott> - Money is not an issue

It's *always* an issue.  And you should be charging them more, much
more obviously.  You've left a bunch of moolah on the table here.... :]

Scott> - Hiring a third-party, such as a detective, private
Scott> investigator, or a lawyer for such searching are not options

Ring's my bells for something fishy.

Scott> The client needs this tool asap.

Nah, they *think* they need this tool asap.  I think they haven't a
clue about networks and security and think that they can hide.

Scott> I'll need to rate the respective search methods/tools, so the more
Scott> details you can offer of the tools, and rankings/capabilities, would
Scott> be most appreciated.

Scott> Thanks much in advance.   I'll be performing my own searching,
Scott> but I trust this list to help produce tools I never would have
Scott> thought of, or insights I simply never would have known.

Well, having them fund and operate a bunch of TOR nodes around the
country in various locations using a bunch of small shell
companies/organizations might be the way to do it.

But bandwidth and such will be hard to hide, as will the search.
Also, from the sound of it, they want to spider other sites and glom
the info.  They could just try to hit google instead, and hide in
plain site among all the other searches out there.

Anyway, have them fund a large group of TOR nodes which they use to
masq their traffic.

And go ask them fro more money, since it's obviously not a problem for
them.  Maybe you could retire on what you get from them?  *grin*

John