[BBLISA] Why do Linux rescue CDs make SATA disks look like SCSI ?

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Jan 19 15:07:02 EST 2009

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009, John Stoffel wrote:
> Dean> It happens with IDE disks under sparc linux in rescue mode.
>
> I've got a sparc linux box running Ubuntu 7.04 (hopeing to upgrade to
> 8.x without problems...) and this is strange news to me.  Can you give
> me more details on your setup?  In general, this is more of a kernel
> version and kernel drivers issue, than anything else.

I'm running aurora 2.99+ I wish I could tell you what that was without a
full package list; (one of my complaints about aurora--too many binary
packages, not enough version control)  Of course, debian/apt is worse,
yet on that front.

kernel is 2.6.23.1-26.5.al3

> Anyway.  With the new SATA disks converging in abilities with SCSI,
> they decided to re-use alot of the SCSI mid-layer stuff, since it made
> sense to reuse code which was already working well and was well
> tested.

> Dean> I keep hoping OSF/1 will get opensourced like Motif and DCE.
>
> I've got a pristine box of Plan9 manuals and source on my shelf.  Not
> sure why...

Cool. Keep them, or give to me. ;-)

> but wouldn't that be a better course than OSF/1?

Plan 9 is a research OS, like pure mach; not quite commercially useful.
OSF/1 is mach plus POSIX+BSD+etc commercially useful interfaces,
developed by OS professionals.  I don't recall if the last 1.3 src had
64bit extensions. Several vendors had submitted 64bit patches, though.

> Though I admit advfs would be a nice thing to have, if only to compare
> it to btrfs and ext4.

advfs is from DEC. Didn't come from OSF. But its basically afs in a
local lvm.  ZFS might be better than all.

> Doesn't OpenSolaris have a mostly GNU tool chain nowdays?  Or can't
> you at least layer it on easily, even if only as an addon?

I know they are working on being able to use gnu tools, but still use on
sun tools. I have it running at home.

		--Dean

617 344 9000