[BBLISA] Rsync Backup - The Continuing Conversation...

Richard 'Doc' Kinne rkinne at aavso.org
Mon Jan 12 09:23:51 EST 2009

Folks:

I really appreciate the rsync/backup conversation that has developed
here! I appreciate everyone who mentioned the venerable tar, but I
decided to try rsync.

As I mentioned doing an rsync on a MacOS 10.5.6 system from an NFS
mounted disk to an external firewire drive produced copious (and that
word is an understatement!) "file vanished" errors. I actually did
the rsync again thinking that it would pick up the files it had not
on the first pass that it thought were "vanished" but that was not
the case.

Thinking this could be something to do with my web disk structure I
rsynced another computer that I needed to back up and got the same
behavior - at least 40% of the files were declared vanished. The only
consistent behavior in this is that once files started to be declared
vanished, it was that way to the end of the process.

So, it didn't seem to be something inherent in the disk structure
since I saw the behavior on two different computers. The next step
was to take NFS out of the equation and do an end-to-end copy (as was
suggested by a few people). This, of course, meant setting up an
Rsync Server, which I managed. I did a test backup last night and it
actually looks good. No "file vanishings" and the space comparison
looks good as well.

Maybe that's it! However, I'll still be interested in the
conversation because I remember at least one person mentioning, "Oh,
look, I'm getting  'file vanishings,' too. I wonder why that is?'"

By the way, we need to have a meeting. I'd like to meet/thank you
all.  :-)
---
Richard 'Doc' Kinne, [KQR]
American Association of Variable Star Observers
<rkinne @ aavso.org>