[BBLISA] System Backup thoughts and questions...

John Orthoefer jco at direwolf.com
Thu Jan 8 18:16:53 EST 2009

Depending on how you are coping files.   Sparse file detection can
cause files to shrink.   Most programs that detect sparse files, use
some variant of an algorithm that works like:  if I see more than x
nulls in a row consider this file sparse.   Which x is normally on the
order of 512.

They do this because it's much harder to inspect the files and figure
out based on the committed blocks and the file size if a file is
sparse and it's got the added benefit that it can give you some
compression.   So even though it might get it wrong from time to time
there is no harm and it works with all "Unix" filesystems without
having to know the details of how the filesystem works.

As for the limit on inodes in cp.   Make sure you are reading the
about YOUR version of cp.   If he isn't having a performance problem
with 114k files in a single directory I doubt he's running a very old
OS.   Since it's got to have a better directory structure than just a
linear list of files for the directory.

just my take on things.  While I wait for an rsync to finish.

johno