[BBLISA] A question on DHCP "shoulds".

Michael Tiernan michael.tiernan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 08:32:27 EDT 2009

I know that I can tell a DHCP server that machine with MAC address
[bla] is to always get IP address [foo] this seems straight forward
but the question is, if machine with MAC address [bla] treats it's IP
address as statically assigned, as in, it's hardwritten into the
configuration/startup scripts, does that "violate" (for lack of a
better term) the rules of DHCP?

I've been under the assumption (yea, I know) that the power over that
address still lies within the DHCP server's command and it should not
be written into the scripts but asked for each time and the DCHP lease
process should be followed, even if the address is to not change.

Anyone have any strong opinions either way on this subject?
--
    << MCT >>   Michael C Tiernan.
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/mtiernan