[BBLISA] Recommendations for Enterprise job scheduling?

Paul Beltrani spamgrinder at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 14:33:10 EDT 2009

It's time for us to look at enterprise class job scheduling options.
While we have excellent developers, I've never seen anyone develop a
great tool for this in-house. This is a common enough problem that I
expect someone has addressed it well. (Having said that, I've worked
with several, very expensive, commercial tools that did it poorly.)

I'm looking for a tool that:
 1) Works natively with Linux
 2) Is reasonably simple to use and doesn't require an extreme amount
of customization.
 3) Is truly enterprise class

The last is the key requirement.  By "enterprise class" I mean it has
features like:
  Ability to see where any jobs / a group of jobs is/are running at
any given moment
  Simple method to see what resources any given job is using
  Reporting to show scheduling for all jobs or a groups of jobs
  Understands job chaining
  Has reasonable job error handling and recovery.
  Allows us to hold or kill jobs across the enterprise by groups/category.
  Has RBAC.

I would be very interested in hearing personal experiences, good or
bad, with any products that may fit the above description.

  - Paul Beltrani