[BBLISA] Secure, authenticated file serving to untrusted clients

Sean OMeara someara at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 20:50:29 EDT 2009

Grsecurity is stack protection and selinux is nothing more than extra
metadata in filesystem inodes.
Aka, they only work from within the context of a running "machine" or
kernel and do nothing to solve this problem.

If you can establish a tcp connection to an NFS(v3) (and are in the
acl list), there is NOTHING an NFS server can do to prevent you from
accessing every file on the share. If you control every node on the
network, you can attempt to secure the clients so users cant get root,
but what about the scenario of a userspace NFS client pretending to be
root?

Your only option is to have a protocol in place where a user needs to
authenticate themselves to the share, be it a kerberos ticket or a
password (cifs, for example).

I hear that NFSv4 offers authentication via kerberos but I'm not sure
if it's at the host or user level.

CIFS suffers from it's own issues (reflection attacks for starters).

good luck!

-s