[BBLISA] ZFS Anyone?

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Sat Apr 4 00:47:28 EDT 2009

> ZFS replication is also very minimal and it has some oddities -- if
> replicating a compressed volume over, say, ssh, to an identically
> configured volume we have to read off disk, uncompress it, recompress
> it, send through ssh, uncompress it, compress it, write to disk.
> d'oh!

I'm not sure what you mean by replication.  Mirroring?  Send?  Based on your
wording, I think you're talking about something like this, no?
	zfs send | ssh somehost "zfs receive"
Why would you have to do the decompress/recompress thing?  What about ...
	zfs send | gzip -c --fast | ssh somehost "gunzip -c | zfs receive"

> I very much look forward to linux+zfs.

I'm not sure that zfs will ever make it to linux, for the aforementioned
legal reasons.  But I hear that BTRFS is going to be the linux equivalent.
Don't really know anyting about it myself.  Just what I'm told.