[BBLISA] ZFS Anyone?

Peter Galvin pbg at cptech.com
Fri Apr 3 16:37:32 EDT 2009

Hi Dewey,

Yes, I meant that ZFS scales linearly with the number of spindles,
essentially being able to drive them at their max throughput.  I'm not sure
on your RAID 6 calculation. For reads certainly you'd scale with number of
spindles (basically a striped read).  For writes, without cache, you would
certainly see a large decrease from that in general. ZFS, for asynchronous
I/O, essentially always tries to do sequential full-stripe writes even of
random-write data, greatly improving over random performance. If it's
synchronous writes it has to get them out to disk fast, and that's when the
logzilla really improves performance.

--Peter

Blogs: http://ctistrategy.com http://www.galvin.info