mDNS/LLMNR was Re: [BBLISA] openldap recipe(s)

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Fri Nov 7 16:37:02 EST 2008

Don't use .local

mDNS/LLMNR faq: http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/DNSEXT/llmnrfaq.html
See also http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4795.txt

.local isn't approved as a domain. The .local domain was proposed by
Donald Eastlake around 1999. See
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsind-local-names This document
was never approved. M$ started using .local in windows in about 2000,
ignoring the lack of standard status.

I'm also not going to argue which was the "right" thing. But only one is
the "standard approved" thing.

		--Dean