[BBLISA] openldap recipe(s)

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Thu Nov 6 20:33:33 EST 2008

I don't have any recipes for LDAP, per the original post requested below.  I do however have a few comments based on recent months of work in this field...

Depending on the goal you want to accomplish...

I do have a recipe (literally three commands) to join linux machines onto Active Dir for authentication.  It only provides authentication though, and POSIX must come from somewhere else.  In my present setup, we're using NIS for posix stuff (relatively easy to set up, very reliable).  I really like how ridiculously easy clients failover to the NIS slave, if something goes wrong with the master.  Or whatever.

In a recent-ish conversation, somebody actually suggested scripting roll-out for passwd/group/shadow files.  Each machine has a "passwd-base" file which contains the unique things (if any) on that machine.  cat passwd-base /some/server/passwd-domain > passwd  After considering Kerberos, LDAP, and NIS, this sounds surprisingly attractive.  You'll never have any problem caused by dependency on some central server having a problem.   ;-)   I don't think I'll actually do it, but it does lower my blood pressure to think about it.