[BBLISA] Live Sync / Backup / Sync without crawling

Tom Metro tmetro+bblisa at vl.com
Sun Nov 2 12:13:04 EST 2008

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> Hey, anybody know of any program, which can sync or mirror a
> directory, without the need to scan the directory?

Nope, but it sounds like a good idea.

> But with inotify etc, it's possible to have already
> created a list of what's changed, and simply mirror the changes
> rather than doing the whole tree crawl.

inotify will tell you which files have changed, but it won't tell you
what blocks of those files have changed - no? I don't remember.

It's been a while since I looked at inotify, but the package for Linux
comes with a command line tool that sends notification messages to
STDOUT so you can use it in a script. A fairly simple script that parses
out the file name and then calls cp or rsync on it ought to do it. For a
bit more sophistication, add some code to delay processing by a few
minutes and batch the operations, so you don't end up repeatedly
mirroring the same file after every little write.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA