[BBLISA] Recover files from formatted HD

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Thu May 15 10:52:52 EDT 2008

I have a hard disk with files on it, which got formatted.  The first thing I
did was take it away from the user, and create a dd image of the disk, to
prevent further damage.

The files in there are mostly personal stuff, jpg, mp3, etc.

Ideally, I'd like a tool that can read the dd image, and create files out of
it.  But obviously I can operate on the disk itself.  Ideally it would be a
free tool, but not necessarily.

I'm browsing, googling, and finding tons of trial tools, commercial tools,
some look good, some look bad.  Anybody have personal experience?

Thanks, ttyl.