[BBLISA] Moving from RAID 0 to LVM RAID?

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Fri Mar 7 07:50:17 EST 2008

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> In nearly all situations, I'll recommend hardware raid controller, with
> hotswappable hard drives, and at least raid 5 configuration.  So you get the
> performance & size benefit of a bunch of disks, with at least some
> redundancy to prevent data loss during hardware failure.

My worry about hardware RAID controllers is what if it breaks? Would you
need to replace it with the same make, model, and firmware rev level to
recover your data? Or is there some compatibility across models within a
brand? We have several RAID controllers from 3Ware and RocketRaid, none
make any such claim in their documentation or online. Nor have I ever seen
any software that claimed to be able to recover data from hardware raid
arrays without the hardware.

Anyway, with multi-core processors, the CPU load from software raid is not
very important.

In case anyone on this list hasn't seen it, I posted some lessons we have
learned about storage at

  http://www.nber.org/sys-admin/linux-nas-raid.html

Daniel Feenberg