[BBLISA] Moving from RAID 0 to LVM RAID?

Rick Pike rick at pikesys.com
Thu Mar 6 23:40:31 EST 2008

You didn't give much detail about the hardware, but you mentioned a PE2950
which I assume is Dell Power Edge 2950. I worked with some of these last
year and our standard storage configuration was 4 internal disks configured
as a single RAID 5 volume using the embedded RAID controller. Actually what
I had recommended was 6 smaller internal disks for the same price.

The RAID 5 provided an acceptable balance between capacity, protection, and
performance. We did some minimal testing to see if reconfiguring the same
hardware with mirroring (was it 2 RAID 1 volumes or 1 RAID 1+0 volume?)
would provide a performance boost (at the expense of capacity), but we did
not notice an meaningful difference in our application. Your mileage may
vary.

Rick