[BBLISA] PE2950 and Linux virtualization

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Fri Jun 6 07:58:12 EDT 2008

If you're running with Intel VT enabled in BIOS, and you're running Centos 5
VM inside of Centos 5, and during installation of both OSes you include
"virtualization" packages, then there's no noticeable performance hit.  The
kernels are compiled to eliminate any VM overhead, and it's at least 99% as
good, using xen.

If you're running some other OS in the VM, it depends on how the kernel was
compiled.  It's possible for any OS to perform that well, but without those
features enabled, there's a significant performance hit.  Off the top of my
head, I might say as bad as 30%.

My personal experience with virtual machines is this - You're trying to
leverage all those CPU cores and ram, but your jobs will become either IO or
Network bound, so the cpu's will stay in IO wait instead of working.  For
compute intensive jobs, I put no more than 4 cores into a machine, with PERC
raid controllers and hardware acceleration (read/write cache) enabled, and
Gb ethernet.  Of course, your experience may be different, depending on the
types of jobs you'll be running.  Mine are engineers with
cadence/synopsys/matlab.

One thing I'd like to point out though - Dell PowerEdge specifically - You
really should install the OpenManage Managed Node, which allows you to
administer your machine on https://machine:1311 but this is not possible
with CentOS.  Dell partnered with RedHat to develop proprietary code to make
that work in genuine RHEL, and it's not possible to do the same on centos.
Let's suppose you have a raid array with hotspare, and a disk goes bad, and
the hotspare takes over, and you replace the bad disk.  The only way you can
enable your new disk as a hotspare without rebooting, is to use genuine RHEL
and OpenManage.